Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Design Patterns books

I have read a couple of books on Design Patterns. Whenever I read them it feels like the solution is given to you first and then the problem is explained. Now when designing software, you have the software and you have problems in the software. You don't automatically start thinking "oh yeah, I can use Strategy here" or "Maybe Observer can go here" unless you are trying to address a problem that may require the solution. So why isn't there a book out there that says something like "imagine you have a software that does so and so, how will you solve this?" and then it gives the solution(s) that may be applicable for the problem.

I was reading "Design Patterns for Dummies" by Holzner Steve, Ph.D recently. It comes pretty close to the style I was looking for. It explains the patterns in a form that can easily be remembered first and then goes into details with code. I have only read a couple of chapters in it but it seems easy enough to follow. The rest comes later...

1 comment:

LlamajitKaur said...

Cool :) I liked Design Patterns by Erich Gamma too. Although, it does not present the information in that style, it is written precisely and concisely and is a great reference.